Bertoletti Sets Bar w/67 in Chatty
Courtesy of www.krystalsquareoff.com:
The new rule changes and sweltering August heat in Chattanooga were no obstacle today for Patrick “Deep Dish” Bertoletti, the number two-ranked competitive eater in the world.
In front of a large, boisterous crowd along the banks of the Tennessee River, the Chicago-based speed eater easily put away 42 Krystal hamburgers and five Big Angus Burgers in eight minutes. The burger count gave him a final score of 67, which includes five points for every Big Angus Burger consumed. Most importantly, the win earned Bertoletti a seat at the final table this Sept. 27 in Chattanooga, where he’ll compete live on television for the $50,000 total cash purse and attempt to unseat Joey Chestnut as the champion.
In last year’s Atlanta qualifier, under the old rules, Bertoletti ate 66 Krystals in eight minutes.
This year competitive eaters have been forced to chance their technique and strategies because of two new rule changes. First, eaters are no longer allowed to dunk their hamburgers in liquid, thus slowing their pace while eliminating “detritus.” Also new this year, every eater is given five Big Angus Burgers at the start of the competition in addition to their tray of Krystals. Each Big Angus Burger consumed adds five points to an eater’s total count.
After a round of media interviews and signing autographs for fans, we spoke with Bertoletti about today’s event. “It was really hot out here today and that always makes it tough to put up a big number but the Chattanooga crowd helped push me the full eight minutes,” said Bertoletti, who will now wait to see how the new rules affects the other pros on the circuit.
Finishing in a distant second today was Pennsylvanian pro Wild Bill Myers, with 34 Krystal Burger Points (9 Krystals, 5 Big Angus), and in third was Chattanooga’s Rick Petralia with 31 Krystal Burger Points (6 Krystals, 5 Big Angus). Super Paul Barlow, dressed in warrior paint, finished in 6th place with 26 Krystal Burger Points (1 Krystal, 5 Big Angus).
Here are the official results from today:
1. Pat Bertoletti – 67 Krystal Burger Points (42 Krystals, 5 Big Angus)
2. Wild Bill Myers – 34 Krystal Burger Points (9 Krystals, 5 Big Angus)
3. Rick Petralia – 31 Krystal Burger Points (6 Krystals, 5 Big Angus)
4. Chef Mike Nafziger – 30 Krystal Burger Points (5 Krystals, 5 Big Angus)
5. Tom Knopp – 29 Krystal Burger Points (4 Krystals, 5 Big Angus)
6. Super Paul Barlow – 26 Krystal Burger Points (1 Krystal, 5 Big Angus)
7. Dale Hines – 24 Krystal Burger Points (4 Krystals, 4 Big Angus)
7. Leroy Crowder – 24 Krystal Burger Points (9 Krystals, 3 Big Angus)
9. Heath Crowder – 20 Krystal Burger Points (10 Krystals, 2 Big Angus)
10. Brian Smith – 19 Krystal Burger Points (4 Krystals, 3 Big Angus)
11 Bryan Burns – 15 Krystal Burger Points (10 Krystals, 1 Big Angus)
11 TJ Petty – 15 Krystals Burger Points (10 Krystals, 1 Big Angus)
The next qualifier for Krystal Square Off VI takes place in San Antonio on Saturday, Aug. 29. Among the eaters already confirmed for the contest include Sonya “The Black Widow” Thomas and Erik “The Red” Denmark.
Stay tuned for more coverage from today’s event, including videos and photos and don’t forget to follow the Krystal Square Off VI on Twitter @ksquareoff.