10 Questions for Doc Bigtime
One of the most exciting up-and-comers on the 2008 IFOCE/MLE circuit is Juris "Dr. Bigtime" Shibayama. A man of conflicting identities, he is at once a spine surgeon and a Harley enthusiast, a loving father with the irrepressible zeal of a teenager, a body builder and a competitive eater.
We sat down with Dr. Bigtime recently over some polenta, crawfish jambalaya, and a bottle of Kajimir as the sun set on the Murfreesboro Reservoir, and discussed his burgeoning career as a gurgitator.
1. Describe your first contest experience/How did you discover your talent?
First contest, Nashville Krystal qualifier, 2006. 33 Krystals in 8 minutes, first ever eating contest, first time ever even trying to eat anything competitively, first time I ever had a Krystal burger. Ryan Nerz was super encouraging, saw my raw talent, and pushed me to continue.
It just grew from there. Knew I could be a competitive eater when went to Don Shula's Steakhouse in Miami as a chief resident. Ate Caesar salad, oysters rockefeller, bread, 8 beers, two 48-oz porterhouse steaks, chocolate cake, and apple cobbler. Not bad for a country boy.
2. Meats or Sweets?
Sweets! I'm a sweet guy underneath all this muscle.
3. What do you eat for breakfast every morning?
Protein shake, and 1 cup of oatmeal.
4. What is the most challenging event on the circuit?
Nathan's. Hot dogs are hard to get down, don't slide well. And 12 minutes is a long time.
5. What music do you listen to during competition?
I don't, but if I did, it would be Kid Rock, Metallica, or Miami trance music
6. What is the last book you read (or favorite book)?
Last book was "Adult & Pediatric Spine Surgery." Favorite book is Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy.
7. What is the last movie that you saw (or favorite movie)?
Last movie I saw, Wild Hogs. Favorite movie, Shawshank Redemption.
8. What profession other than your own would you like to try?
Rock star. No doubt about it.
9. What is your favorite website?
www.doctorbigtime.com of course!
10. Who is your presidential choice for '08?
Yeah, I'm not answering that one.